The 36-foot boat came into use during the 1930’s and generally had a three man crew. They were phased out and replaced by the larger 44-foot motor lifeboat. The last of these units was retired in 1987. This 36-foot self-righting motor lifeboat, number 36498 was commissioned in 1946, and served until 1979.
U.S. Coast Guard 36′ motor lifeboat 36498 served at the Port Orford Lifeboat Station until the station ceased lifeboat services in 1964. The boat was transferred to Coast Guard Station Bandon (Oregon), where she served until at least 1972. Later she was transferred to Coast Guard Station Umpqua River (Oregon). 36498 served at Umpqua River with distinction until December 1979, when she was taken out of service and transferred to Coast Guard Station Coos Bay. In Coos Bay, she was “parted out” to keep CG 36535 at Depoe Bay, Oregon, in service. (36535 is now on display at the Independence Seaport Museum in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.)
In 1981, after serving the United States Coast Guard for over 35 years, 36498 was pulled out of the water for the last time. She remained at the Coos Bay station until 1989 when she was put on display in Bandon. She came home to Port Orford in early 2000.